It works! I managed to get HoloLens inputs working with the LUIS integration I did before in Unity. The project melds phrase recognition with dictation from HoloAcademy’s github example and then pings the LUIS API.
All the code is here: Github/KatVHarris
LUIS + UNITY + JSON post is here
LUIS 101 post is here
Okay so this is a very short post. Most of the harder parts were completed before this in my LUIS post and the Hololen’s Academy code helped a lot. I’ll just mention here some of the pains I went through and how it works.
Phrase Recognition vs. Dictation
HoloLens has 3 main types of input control for users. Gaze, Touch, and Voice. This application focuses on the last one. The voice input uses the Speech library for Windows.
This library allows the HoloLens to then use Phrase Recognition to trigger specific actions or commands in your project. Yet that defeats the point of natural Language processing. In order to then interact with LUIS we needed to feed in what the user is saying. So to do this, I integrated the Communicator Class from the HoloLens Example into my project. This class handles the Phrase Recognition of the project but it also handles dictation, enabling natural language to be captured from the user. My Communicator is slightly different than the HoloLens because of the LUIS interactions as well as reworking the code to call for multiple dictation requests.
Now to activate the dictation Phrase Recognition commands are used. So no need to Tap to activate.
I did have some speech/phrase recognition trouble. The original phrase to activate dictation was “Allie” (the character on the 100 which my original bot project is based off); however, the recognizer doesn’t recognize that spelling of her name. Changing it to “ally” caused the recognizer to trigger. DictationRecognizer is similar to the PhraseRecognizer in that it also doesn’t recognize the spelling of many names; for example, I would say “Tell me about Clarke.” and the dictation recognizer would write “tell me about clark.”. To fix the dictation errors I used Regex to replace the spelling before querying the LUIS API. One can also change their LUIS API to accept the speech recognition spelling but because multiple bots and applications are connected to my LUIS API I couldn’t implement that solution.
private void DictationRecognizer_DictationResult(string text, ConfidenceLevel confidence)
// Check to see if dictation is spelling the names correctly
text = Checknames(text);
// 3.a: Append textSoFar with latest text
textSoFar.Append(text + ". ");
// 3.a: Set DictationDisplay text to be textSoFar
DictationDisplay.text = textSoFar.ToString();
Anyway that’s all there is to it. All the major code is in the:
Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions with it on Twitter @KatVHarris